Home Tour Series: Kitchen

The kitchen is off the dining room and looks out to the backyard.
It's going to be done along with the dining room, same inspiration.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEFORE
Not the biggest kitchen in the world, but definitely has potential for style.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DURING THE TRANSFORMATION
Dec. 9: Finally we get to start working on the kitchen!  Even though it is late we have to get the first coat of Kilz on the pretty blue border that wraps around the ceiling, it will probably take a few coats because there are also leaves stenciled. I don't know that it was ever in style, but who knows if what I am going to do is either... probably is.

Dec. 10: Put the second coat of Kilz on the border since they did such a great job. And we decided to go ahead and remove the cabinet doors and handles which is more time consuming that expected, but what hasn't been. The question to replace or reuse hardware?!

Dec. 11: Now a little color gets to be splashed in when the edges being cut in with that bright sweet midori green. Also, the wainscoting is being installed on the bottom half of the wall. It will all flow right from the dining room.
Can't wait to add the stripes!
 Dec. 12: I began adding the shelf liner to the five shelves in the pantry, but now they are sitting in our bedroom since the pantry still has to be painted. It's going to match the walls in the kitchen with the half green and half white walls.

 Dec. 26: Stripes were added to the walls along with the dining room by me and Meg while Jean was putting wood putty in the holes. Two hours for it to dry, then sanding and painting begins. Also, thanks to Savannah for painting the pantry! We even added the pot rack today and I had pots and pans to hang on it... looks classy.

Do you know what is wrong with this picture?

 Dec. 27: The cabinets are sucking up paint, but after three coats of paint they're ready! Before Mr. Denton left, our last task was to hang the cabinets. Well it turns out that the doors had very specific spots that we did not anticipate, but this was discovered after we had already attached the handles so more work for ourselves. (At least we have a very convenient foot cabinet lol) Next time he comes we are going to shave the edges so that they doors can close properly and possibly even fix the one handle.

The wine glass rack was installed by Andrew Riney himself and the wine glasses actually came from Old Time Pottery (thanks Sandie).

To the right of the sink you will see the handy work of Micah with the installation of the paper towel holder which is out of the way yet very accessible.



I really want to find a window decal like this! I have been looking everywhere.. I think it is great because it does not have to be washed like curtains, it does not seem like it is going to become outdated, it is white so it matches just about any decor and it still allows in light.

If anyone sees this please let me know! I am almost completely done with the kitchen and really want to get the finishing touches so that I can officially unveil the heart of my home.

Dec. 28: Today Savannah and I went on a shopping/thrifting adventure. We started in Hermitage: going to Tuesday Morning, Goodwill, and and an Antique shop but came up empty handed. Then on to Donelson to Southern Thrift which was not as nice as it used to be so that was a disappointment. Finally, we went to Green Hills to the Container Store which I have been wanting to go to since I realized it existed, and of course I bought a few things: Sink Saddle, cutting board with a built in colander, wine glass hanger, and an under cabinet paper towel holder. Good thing she was there because I might have bought one of everything.

Dec. 30: Time to start the organizing!  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After
to come...



While pinterest-ing I have found quite a few inspirations that I have put into practice:
Jan. 22: Shopping for the metals pieces at craft supplies stores Micah and I found quite difficult so when we were browsing at Home Goods we ran across another cake stand with pretty pink cupcakes for $9, but decided that records would be more our style. That same night we took it apart and attached a Willie Nelson record on the bottom and Elton John on top courtesy of Sam Denton.  


 Jan. 22: Silverware was never something that I thought of as an accessory, but the above images made it look like fun. Since we have an extra set of silverware the attempts could have been endless, but Micah managed to get both done with only one trial run. We then spray painted them to match out decor and below is the finished product, now to add a candle and a picture.


Jan. 22: Since I am obsessed with organization I immediately thought that this was a
great idea! Adding cork to the inside of the cabinet is a way to keep a grocery list, recipes, coupons and everything else out of site but easy and quick to get to, now to make my personalized push pins (of course).


Jan. 22: Before I even realized that there was ugly drawer liner already in the cabinets and drawers I had picked out a really cute black and white pattern from Target. I bought the last three rolls and that only covered the kitchen cabinets, drawers and pantry. It is really easy to use and can be moved at first so no need to worry about making mistakes. 

It's in the details!:


Jan. 22: I always put my fruit on the counter or in a bowl, but when I saw this I was determined to find a way to keep my fruit on the wall. At Hobby Lobby they had some metal baskets for 50% off and I couldn't pass it up. The only problem was trying to find the right kind of hooks for the weight... everything is harder than you think it will be.

This pot rack is so convenient that i'll not go back to putting it in the cabinets. (Now what do I put in there?)
Finishing touches... pictures in every room of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment